Monday, January 6, 2014

Letter Week 6 (End Of Cycle 1)

Happy New Year!

Hello family, I hope you guys are as excited as I am for 2014! This week has been a week of many ups and downs. We had started out the week excited to progress with Adrian (our investigator who was going to be baptized this week) but unfortunately we weren't able to find him all week. This made my companion and I extremely sad because we haven't even been able to talk to him over the phone and we are starting to think he has been avoiding us. We have been praying for guidence and we haven't lost faith that he will come back to the right path.

New Years Eve we spent with the Pacheco Family who lives next door. The sister cooked us a turkey, mash potatoes, and some delicious pasta. After dinner we went back to our home and called it a night. Then, at about 12:30 am we were woken up by the sounds of gunshots. It is a tradition to shoot your gun on New Years and it sounded pretty crazy outside. Brother Pacheco assured us that it was just a thing that all the juarez people do.

This week has been full of meetings for my companion and I! My companion has been called to a leadership position (District Leader) so we have been attending all the meetings. The meetings and instruction are given by President Derbez and his Assistants. The meetings are usually about 4 hours long, but there is never a dull moment. President Derbez is probably the funniest man I've met here on my mission. He always has a smile and somthing funny to say. Aside from being comical, he is also super wise. He shares experiences and wisdom that make you think and reflect about the work we are doing. He makes sure that we all understand that these 2 years we have been given to serve our Lord are used for exactly that, service to our Saviour. Everytime I leave a meeting or an interview with him I leave so excited and pumped about the work of Salvation that I just want to get out and preach all day non stop!

This was my last week in my area, Central. I am so happy to say that I am leaving this area better than I found it. This past Sunday, I was so happy to see 45 members in attendence again. I know that the Lord has helped me and my companion have this ward grow, even if it had to be done little by little. I will be moving to my new area, Pradera, tomorrow night (Tuesday, Jan. 7) and I am so eager to start working with a new companion and ready to invite more of my brothers and sisters to come unto Christ. This is a new year of challenges for all of us, and we must rely on the Lord to get through them. I feel privilaged to be able to be out here in Juarez in the service of Christ and devote this whole year to Him. I thank you all for your prayers and letters and I wish the best for you all this new year.
Elder Velazquez


En Español
¡Feliz Año Nuevo!

Hola familia, espero que están emocionados por el 2014 como yo! 
Esta semana ha tenido sus altas y bajas. Habíamos empezado la semana muy contentos de progresar con Adrian (nuestro investigador , que iba a ser bautizado esta semana), pero desgraciadamente, no pudimos encontrarlo toda la semana. Esto hizo a mi compañero y yo extremadamente triste  porque no hemos hablado con el, y pensamos que nos ha estado evitando. Hemos orado para ser guiados y no hemos perdido la fe  de que él regresara al camino correcto. 

El Año Nuevo lo pasamos  con la familia Pacheco que son nuestros vecinos. La hermana horneo pavo, pure y una deliciosa pasta. Después de la cena nos fuimos a casa. Después como a las 12:30 de la madrugada nos despertamos con el estruendoso sonido de los balazos. Es una tradición aquí en Juárez echar tiros con tu pistola al aire libre, según nos dijo el hermano Pacheco.

Esta semana ha estado llena de juntas para mi y mi compa. Mi compa ha sido llamado como Líder de distrito y hemos atendido cada una de las juntas de instrucción dadas por el Presidente Derbez y sus asistentes. Las juntas son generalmente alrededor de unas cuatro horas pero nunca hay un momento de aburrimiento el Pte. Derbez es uno de los hombres mas chistosos que he conocido en mi misión.  El siempre  tiene una sonrisa y algo chistoso que decir. Aparte de eso es un hombre muy sabio. El  siempre comparte sus experiencias y sabiduría.  El Pte. se asegura de que entendamos que estos dos anos que tenemos al servicio del Señor sean usados precisamente para eso, Servir al Senior. Casa vez que termina una junta o una entrevista con el me retiro tan animado y motivado acerca de de la obra de Salvación que solo deseo salir a predicar todo el día, y todo el tiempo!

Esta fue mi ultima semana en mi área Central. Me siento feliz al decir que dejo esta área mejor de como la encontré. Este domingo pasado, estaba tan feliz de ver 45 miembros atendiendo a los servicios nuevamente. Se que el Senior nos ayudo a mi compañero y a mi a hacer que este barrio creciera, aunque sea poco a poco. Me mudo a mi nueva área Pradera maniana por la noche (martes 7 de enero ) y estoy ansioso de empezar a trabajar con mi nuevo compañero y estoy listo para invitar a mis  hermanos y hermanas a venir a Cristo. Este va a ser un nuevo ano lleno de retos para todos, y debemos confiar en el Señor para sobrepasar nuestros retos. Me siento muy privilegiado de poder estar aquí en Juárez al servicio de Cristo y dedicar todo este año a El. Les agradezco a todos uds.  por sus oraciones y sus cartas y les deseo lo mejor para este Ano Nuevo.
Elder Velazquez





1 comment:

  1. Sounds like things are going great! Good luck in your new area! They are lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete